Less than one third of pupils passed eleven plus
by William Mata | 29th October 2018
THE ‘narrow structure’ of the eleven plus exam has been criticised after less than one third of Kent pupils passed.
The county council recently revealed 4,641 Year 6 students were found ‘suitable for grammar schools’ from the 16,656 who took the exam, also known as the Kent Test.
These students will enjoy priority for the 5,214 places on offer at the selective secondary schools for the 2019/20 intake.
Cllr Roger Gough, the county council’s education lead, said: “We understand this can be a stressful time for families.
“We try to make the process of deciding on the most appropriate secondary education for their children as straightforward as possible.”
Parents had until today [Wednesday] to name up to four potential schools in order of preference.
Less students were ‘assessed suitable’ for a grammar compared to last year, when 4,650 passed the test, although for 2019 there are more than 100 extra spaces on offer.
This could open the door to students who could travel in from outside Kent, and took the eleven plus, or were educated at home.
Christine Dickinson, of the Kent National Education Union, said: “It is sad to note that such a high proportion of pupils entered for the Kent Test this year did not achieve the pass mark.
“The eleven plus tests a narrow range of tasks on a particular day and does not reflect developing ability in a wider range of skills.
“I hope this does not become a defining moment in a child’s life and that they are encouraged by parents, teachers and society to develop their own abilities to the best.”
Students will find out on March 1 next year which school they shall be attending from September.