How you can sometimes put right the wrong

Give parents more power in schools

THERE are a variety of reasons why parents choose to appeal the decision made by Kent County Council [KCC] as to which secondary school their child will be best suited to.

These range from not being given the first school of your choice due to it being oversubscribed or out of your catchment area, to not getting the grammar school you wanted for your son or daughter if they sat the Kent Test, also known as the 11-plus exam.

It can be a stressful time for both parents and pupils, but there are a number of key things and specific timings that KCC advises if you find yourself in this situation.

Firstly, you can put your child on the waiting list for your desired school (or indeed for any of those you applied for). If they took the Kent Test and were not assessed as being suitable for a grammar you won’t be able to do this with selective schools.

For all others, the waiting list can sometimes prove beneficial as some will decide not to take up places offered, which could give your child the chance to move further up the chain or indeed to successfully gain a place at the sought-after school. To put your child’s name on a waiting list you will need to fill in the form that comes with your offer letter. This must be returned to KCC by March 16.

Alternatively, you can appeal. Every parent and child has the right to do this if they were not offered a place at one of their preferred schools.

You can appeal between March 1 and March 29 to guarantee your appeal will be heard by June 15, 2017. Details on how to do this are available on the KCC website. The normal round of applications appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline.

You should also accept the place your child has been offered. This will not affect your waiting list position or your appeal.

But it will guarantee your child has a school place if no other places become available, or if your appeal is unsuccessful.

If you are successful with either the waiting list or appeal, then remember to tell the school you were originally offered that you no longer want the place.

For more information on any of the above, visit

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter