Spring is in full swing with the appearance of buds and daffodils, birdsong and brighter days. A season of new life, growth and opportunities.
We welcome this seasonal change and look forward to enjoying all that a beautiful spring has to offer; the detoxifying dandelion, the blood purifying cleavers and the delicious wild garlic, packed with nutrients.
Unfortunately for many, springtime can herald the start of sneezing attacks, itchy eyes, throat irritation and the feeling of being perpetually run down with the constant attack from allergens.
Hay fever can begin in early spring and continue all through the summer. It can be hard to enjoy the bright, sunny days if you suffer with miserable symptoms. The best strategy is to build up your immune system before symptoms appear…
Hay fever and chronic rhinitis are an overreaction to something that the body should, and can, usually handle so the key here is to have a strong immune system. When you encounter an allergen, be it food, pollen or a dusty room, an antibody is produced releasing histamine which causes itching, swelling and inflammation. It is important to start preparing and strengthening the immune system before the hay fever symptoms start.
HERE ARE MY TOP TIPS:
- Consume foods rich in bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple and papaya, which is particularly effective at reducing inflammation, pain and allergies
- Eat the foods high in quercetin, a potent antioxidant flavonoid that has been shown to reduce inflammation, allergies and hay fever and supports the respiratory system. Foods include parsley, capers, onions, black plums, apples and berries. Quercetin also acts as a zinc ionophore, a compound that can transport zinc ions across a cell membrane, increasing intracellular zinc concentrations, so supporting immunity
- Reduce or eliminate foods you know you don’t tolerate well. Bread and wheat products can be particularly hard on the digestive system and can lower immunity. You may also find that mucus forming foods like milk and cheese make your symptoms worse, so listen to your body
- Research points to the gut being the seat of a healthy immune system so it stands to reason if you balance your gut bacteria immunity will improve and strengthen. Optibac’s probiotic for Every Day has been shown to be beneficial for those with mild to moderate hay fever
- Bee Prepared by Unbeelievable Health is a tried and tested natural remedy for hay fever. I find it helpful to begin before the season is underway, and it is one of our best-selling hay fever products
- For severe hay fever, allergies and chronic rhinitis black seed oil has been shown to be effective. In studies black seed oil ‘the remedy for everything’ has been shown to reduce nasal itching, runny nose, sneezing fits and nasal congestion during the first two weeks
- Increase vitamin C through diet or supplement with a whole food C as this is a natural anti-histamine reducing the amount of histamine produced when you come in to contact with an allergen
- Drink nettle tea to reduce inflammation and ease nasal congestion
- The wonderful medicinal reishi mushroom can help to control hay fever and acts as a natural anti-histamine, lowering inflammation and boosting the immune system.
All products are available in-store and at our online store www.botanicahealth.co.uk