Burger bar burns down following an electrical fire

Burger bar burns down following an electrical fire
Fire at Marlowe's in Calverley Road, Tunbridge Wells

Firefighters were called to Marlowe’s in Calverley Road at around 8pm on Friday [February 28] evening. Surrounding buildings were evacuated as firefighters tackled the blaze, which is thought to have been caused by an electrical fire in the basement.

Nobody was injured in the incident, although two people were treated for minor smoke inhalation at the scene. A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue said: “Six fire engines attended, including two fire engines from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

“Crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets, compressed air foam, smoke curtains and a fog spike to extinguish the blaze and stop the flames from spreading.

Immediate neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution. “Two casualties were treated by firefighters for minor smoke inhalation.”

Because the fire was believed to have been started by an electrical fault, firefighters had to use specialist foam to douse the flames.

The restaurant is among the most popular burger chains in the town, with cheeseburgers from the Calverley Road branch recently topping a survey by Deliveroo as the most popular food items ordered through the delivery company in Tunbridge Wells.

It is not clear when the restaurant will reopen. In a statement on their Instagram page, the burger chain said: “It is with a very heavy heart that we notify everybody that a major electric fire broke out at Marlowe’s yesterday evening around 20:00.

The fire spread through the fabric of the building, causing extensive damage. “Everyone from the restaurant and surrounding buildings was evacuated safely and no one was injured.

“A huge thank you to Kent Fire and Rescue, who carried out a fantastic job in containing and extinguishing the fire.”

They added that Marlowe’s burgers will still be available at the restaurant’s pop-up outlet in Central Market, Royal Victoria Place.

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter