Allergic reaction leads to tragic death of Skinners’ School boy

Gary Jefferies

A POPULAR Skinners School boy has died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a piece of cooked chicken.

Owen Carey, a sixth form pupil at the well-known grammar school, lost his life at around 4pm on Saturday (April 22) while out celebrating his birthday with friends near the London Eye.

Paramedics spent 45 minutes attempting to resuscitate the 18-year-old from Crowborough, who had suffered from various allergies from a young age.

His father Paul Carey, put out an emotional appeal on Facebook on Monday asking for his son’s friends to spread the news of his death and the circumstances surrounding it.

He said: “This time last week I was saying goodbye to my younger son, Owen, a week later I have to start preparing myself to say goodbye to him for ever. On Saturday just gone, shortly before 4 o’clock in the afternoon, Owen died, in front of the big wheel that is the London Eye, of an anaphylactic reaction to something he had eaten at lunchtime.

“Paramedics and others tried to help, but it was all in vain. Everybody, including members of the crowd, did as much as they could. Within minutes, just before 4pm, he was in St Thomas’s Hospital where they spent a further 45 minutes trying to resuscitate him, but it was all for nothing.”

Mr Carey urged those who read the message to support charities that help those with allergies and anaphylactic reactions, notably, and said he too will be doing his part to raise awareness.

Skinners’ School head teacher, Edward Wessen paid tribute to the pupil and his family, and described Owen as a ‘quiet but popular individual with an excellent sense of humour’, who was hoping to go to Swansea University to read computer science.

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter