Turner’s strike cancelled out by windy gust

Turner's strike cancelled out by windy gust
Tonbridge Angels

Tonbridge Angels 1 Hungerford Town 1

The Longmead pitch has been largely waterlogged for the last month and the heavy rain brought by Storm Dennis looked likelty to cause another postponement.

The Angels were especially keen to be given the green light to play because the rash of abandonments has meant their late-season fixture list is becoming very demanding as they bid to avoid relegation.

A club spokesman said: “Great credit is due to all concerned for getting this game on in spite of the appalling weather conditions.

“Both teams wanted to play the game and the referee was prepared to give it a go, and both sides did their level best to keep the crowd of 383 entertained.”

The home side took an early lead when Joe Turner headed in Ben Greenhalgh’s corner after five minutes – with the strong wind a big factor in the goal.

Josh Ajayi should have doubled the Angels’ advantage two minutes later but the ball seemed to get under his feet. 

It was the away side that seemed to adapt to the difficult conditions better with chances falling to Ralph Graham, Conor Lynch and Liam Ferdinand.

The second period started with a superb double save by the Angels keeper Jonny Henly, but the wind was to play a big part in the equaliser for Hungerford on 50 minutes.

Matt Jones took a corner for the visitors and a gust of wind suddenly diverted the ball straight into the net.

With the weather deteriorating the standard of football suffered further and the game turned into something of a lottery.

With the wind in their favour Hungerford were able to do more of the attacking but genuine chances were few and far between.

On 69 minutes Ferdinand’s shot along the ground had Henly scrambling  across his goal but it went just wide.

The closing stages saw the game become very stretched and Turner forced a fine save from Hungerford’s Patrick Ohman, but both sides had to settle for a draw.

Angels manager Steve McKimm declared himself happy with a point taking into account the weather conditions.

“Perhaps we should have taken more advantage in the first period with the wind at our backs but we haven’t played much competitive football recently and it showed somewhat.

“I was very proud of my defenders in the second half as they really had to keep their concentration with the ball pretty much likely to go anywhere.

“On another day Joe’s late effort might have gone in but it’s another point to add to our total.”

The Angels, who remain second from bottom, travel to Oxford City on Saturday (February 22, kick-off 3pm).


Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter