Rugby: Yellow fever for Tunbridge Wells against Guildford

Rugby: Yellow fever for Tunbridge Wells against Guildford
LEADING THE LINE: Captain Ryan Taylor-Dennehy offloads before his injury PHOTO: Bruce Elliott

A DISAPPOINTING display saw Wells lose to the team one place below them in the London & South East Premier Division and they know they must pick up some form to stay clear of the relegation places.

The match was marred by a serious injury to one of the visiting forwards which led to a 15-minute delay and a change of pitches. Guildford produced two tries in the time added on, to eventually run away with the contest.

Both sides came to this game on equal points but Wells got off to a slow start which saw Guildford score a converted try through a Bradley Smith after four minutes.

After a period of penalty pressure the visitors added a second try from a lineout and rolling maul inside the first 10 minutes to stretch their lead to 12-0.

Wells slowly eased their way into the game but the Guildford line held strong until the 41st minute, when a sustained attack saw skipper Ryan Taylor-Dennehy score under the posts.

Frank Reynolds added the extras to reduce the arrears to 12-7 before half-time.

In a disrupted second half the hosts’ Josh Hawkins was yellow-carded, to be followed four minutes later by Brendan Crosilla.

The handicap of playing with 13 eventually told with the visitors scoring a pushover try through No 8 Joe Garner in the 56th minute.

Once back to full strength, Wells applied pressure with good attacking phases featuring Mike Hathaway, Mike Doherty and some physical drives from Crosilla.

This paid dividends as Taylor-Dennehy got to a metre out and the ball was eventually recycled to Matt Spicer, who went in for the try.

Taylor-Dennehy then hobbled off with a hamstring injury and a Guildford forward sustained an injury which meant he could not be quickly moved and the sides changed pitch.

After the long delay Reynolds missed the conversion with 77 minutes gone, leaving the deficit at five points.

Guildford maintained their concentration in injury time to run in two tries, one of which was converted, and confirmed their victory.

Wells now face a tricky trip to Brentwood, two places and three points behind them in 12th, on Saturday [January 26, kick-off 2pm].

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter