Football: Tunbridge Wells flying high after thrashing Croydon

Football: Tunbridge Wells flying high after thrashing Croydon
TAKE THE LEAD: Tunbridge Wells captain Perry Spackman with the club mascot Ollie Fussell PHOTO: Victor Bethell

TUNBRIDGE WELLS returned to the Culverden Stadium in triumph after winning five matches in a row away from home – in a complete reversal of their previous form.

They duly kept this fine run going with a comprehensive victory over a Croydon side who are firmly rooted to the bottom of the Southern Counties East League Premier Division.

The home side took the lead in only the second minute when the captain Perry Spackman rose high to meet Jake Beecroft’s corner and power a header into the net.

Croydon were playing with a verve and ability that defied their lowly status and they scored an equaliser in the 20th minute.

But less than a minute later a free kick on the right from Jason Thompson flew across the goal and into the top left corner of the net.

On the half-hour Chad Bryce-Borthwick made it 3-1 with a 25-yard shot that swerved away from the keeper into the top right-hand corner.

After 35 minutes Jamie Humphris jinked past three defenders before laying the ball back to Josh Biddlecombe, who fired it into the net.

After the break there were fewer chances, though Croydon pulled a goal back on the hour.

Towards the end, Beecroft cleared the ball down the right wing to Alexx Kendal, who slid it past the keeper for Humphris to slide it home.

The home crowd had witnessing their team playing with a combination of pace and skill that had been missing all season.

With the highest attendance in the league, 182, the supporters enjoyed seeing their team score five goals at home for the first time in three years.

Wells, who are in 16th place and moving up the table, now entertain Cray Valley on Saturday [December 15, kick-off 3pm].

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter