Football: Tonbridge Angels hang on as leaders Bath miss penalty

TONBRIDGE ANGELS followed up their first win of the season in National League South with a hard-earned point against the league leaders, Bath City, at Twerton Park.

During midweek the Angels had secured their first points of the season after being promoted with a 1-0 win at home to Concord Rangers of Canvey Island.

The winner came in the 89th minute from an unlikely source , when left-back Jack Parter met Joe Turner’s cross with a header into the net.

The return of Sonny Miles in central defence helped to secure a clean sheet against a side that had won their first three games.

Myles Roberts, deputising in goal for Jonny Henly, was brought into the action in the first minute, diving low to his left to deny Ross Stearn.

It was not until the 22nd minute that the home side had another opportunity, but Roberts was again equal to the task.

Tonbridge ended the first half on the front foot with D’Sean Theobalds firing over the bar and Joe Turner shooting narrowly wide of the right-hand post.

The second half started slowly with neither side registering a meaningful effort.

On 63 minutes Stearn struck a volley but Roberts saved it comfortably.

Two minutes later, Tom Derry was sent clear and was cynically taken out to earn one of the Bath players, Harvey Smith, a yellow card.

But Smith, who was already on a booking, had departed the scene and in a clear case of mistaken identity the card was brandished at one of his team mates, Alex Hartridge.

After 71 minutes, following a free kick into the box, Rhian Bray was controversially adjudged to have manhandled an opponent.

The referee pointed to the spot but a sigh of relief went through the crowd of 476 as Tyler Harvey blazed the penalty high over the bar.

With ten minutes remaining Turner missed by inches and at the other end some desperate defending saw the Angels see the ball to safety.

Angels survived another decent penalty appeal late on, and emerged with a point from a well drilled performance.

Manager Steve McKimm said: “Nil-Nil sounds boring but that was an exciting game. That had everything, there should have been a sending-off, they got a penalty which shouldn’t have been, they didn’t get a penalty they should have. Bodies on the line, we gave everything.”

Tonbridge now take on Havant & Waterlooville at home on Saturday [August 24, kick-off 3pm].

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter