Football: Rusthall shoot themselves in the foot to hand Tunbridge Wells victory

Pam Mills

LOCAL bragging rights went the way of Tunbridge Wells, who grabbed their first points of the season in the Southern Counties East League Premier Division after Rusthall conceded two own-goals.

The home side shaded possession without really penetrating in the early exchanges, while Wells were looking to break quickly.

Jake Cornish was deputising in goal after Callum Christie picked up a hand injury, and he received a yellow card within two minutes for a rash tackle on former Rusthall favourite Danny Powell.

From a corner Robbie Bissett forced the ball home from close range to make it 1-0, giving the hosts a platform to build upon.

But Wells found an equaliser before the break.
A free kick saw a long ball launched into the area, and Luke Stratford steered it into his own net.

In the second half Wells took the initiative with the introduction of pacy striker Jeremy Tudor-Pole. His first shot was saved by Cornish but this time Bissett put the ball in his own net.

Then Tudor-Pole went on a mazy run from distance and was unopposed as he slotted the ball home to seal victory in the 81st minute.

Rusthall now travel to Beckenham Town for a Friday night encounter [September 21, kick-off 7.45pm].

PICTURE: HIGH HOPES: Rusthall skipper Joe Fuller (left) waits for a long ball with Wells’ Alex Kendall PHOTO: Dean Jacquin

Cornish keeps Rustics in with a chance for Vase

Guildford City 0 Rusthall 2

RUSTHALL’S defence kept out their hosts at Wey Court before going on to record an impressive victory in the FA Vase.

As early as the first minute, a home effort was deflected just past the post by Jake Cornish.

The stand-in keeper made a succession of flying saves, and reacted brilliantly to stop a deflection from a defender looping into the net for what would have been another own goal.

There was a sense that Guildford would be made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal.

At the end of the first half Rusthall had two golden opportunities, Bobby Webbe blocking at the back post before Robbie Bissett struck a penalty wide of the goal.

In the second half Rusthall enjoyed far more of the ball. They threatened from a succession of corners and were dominating the aerial duals.

As the game entered the last 10 minutes, Callum Ridley fired in a low ball from the right and Joe Fuller was on hand to side-foot home.

Two minutes later, in an almost exact repeat of the first goal, it was Ridley’s turn to convert another low cross.


Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter