Football: Rusthall left to rue errors after Fuller strikes

Football: Rusthall left to rue errors after Fuller strikes

Canterbury City 5 Rusthall 2

RUSTHALL kicked off their second campaign in the Southern Counties East League Premier Division with a defeat by Canterbury City at Faversham’s Salters Lane.

Having survived relegation because of a restructuring of the non-league pyramid, the Rustics know they will have to cut out the number of mistakes they make this season.

Despite several players being away on holiday, the opening exchanges were fairly even and Rusthall caused problems for the Canterbury defence through the pacy Regan Corke.

The 18-year-old has been recruited by the club from from the local junior league and did not look overwhelmed at all by the step-up.

Clear-cut chances were few and far between, but after 25 minutes Canterbury’s Rob Lawrence converted their first real opportunity, finishing well across the diving Callum Christie.

The home side added a second after some poor defending from a corner resulted in centre-half Liam Quinn having a free header which he powered home.

Rusthall gave themselves a lifeline at the end of the first half when the experienced Joe Fuller finished well after the ball fell centrally to him in the box, and they went in 2-1 down at the break.

The new management pairing of Andrew Mc-Kechnie and Mike Cramp would have been confident of getting back into the game. But they were left fuming when Rusthall conceded a penalty three minutes into the second half.

The Canterbury keeper collected a Rusthall corner and quickly kicked the ball upfield. Dave Pilcher was on to it in a flash, and despite the attention of two Rustic defenders, he caused enough problems to win a penalty which he neatly despatched.

The Rustics made changes, handing debuts to George Ede, Jordan Boating-Anderson and Callum Strachan, who has come up through the Rusthall junior ranks.

But Canterbury were in the ascendency and they added two more goals from Jordan Casey and Josh Froggatt.

In the final minute, Rusthall found the net again when Ed Sharman finished from close range after good work from Callum Ridley.

Rusthall face Wick in the FA Cup Extra-Preliminary Round at Tunbridge Wells’ Culverden Stadium on Sunday [August 12, kick-off 3pm].

PICTURE: FINISHING TOUCH: Joe Fuller scores for Rusthall PHOTO: Dean Jacquin

Share this article

Recommended articles


Please enter a search term below.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter