Recipe of the week: Daniel Hatton's tomato salad
4th May 2018
Here's how to make Daniel Hatton's San Marzano tomato salad with cherry tomatoes, purple basil, aged balsamic and planeta olive oil. Check out more recipes in this month's So Magazine.
Serves 4 as a light lunch
Preparation time:20 minutes
- 1kg San Marzano tomatoes or heritage tomatoes
- Malden sea salt
- 500g yellow cherry tomatoes
- 300g sliced shallots
- Dash of five-year aged balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- 200g pitted and halved gordal olives
- 1 bunch basil, ripped
- 1 bunch purple basil
- 100ml Planeta olive oil
- Slice your tomatoes and place in a bowl with a sprinkle of sea salt - this will start to plump the tomatoes and release the flavours. Halve your cherry tomatoes and slice the shallots as thinly as possible, then add this to the sliced San Marzano tomatoes. Now, add the balsamic, pepper and olives, and mix all together.
- When you're ready to serve, add half of the basil and place in a big serving platter. Garnish with the rest of the basil, drizzle with the olive oil and serve with some toasted focaccia bread to mop up the juices, and a large glass of Alastro from Planeta winery in Sicily.