CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE
13th January 2019
with fresh berries
PREP 30 MINS
COOK 40 MINS, plus cooling
340g (12oz) plain flour
400g (14oz) caster sugar
13⁄4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
55g (2oz) vegan cocoa powder
1⁄4 tsp salt
450ml (15fl oz) unsweetened
soya milk or water
100ml (31⁄2fl oz) corn or vegetable
oil, plus extra for greasing
11⁄2 tbsp white vinegar
11⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
300g (10oz) vegan dark chocolate
300ml (10fl oz) plant-based milk
45g (11⁄2oz) vegan chocolate, shaved with a potato peeler, or a selection of fresh berries, if preferred
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF/Gas 4). Grease and line with baking parchment the bases of 2 deep 20cm (8in), round sandwich tins.
- Sift together into a large bowl the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the liquid ingredients: the soya milk or water, corn oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract, and add to the flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins, and use a palette knife or spatula to spread evenly. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the baking parchment and leave to cool completely. Slice each cake in half horizontally.
- To make the ganache, melt the dark chocolate and combine with the plant-based milk.
- Sandwich the cakes together using half the ganache for the first 3 layers. Spread the remainder on the top and sides and rough up with a knife. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings or decorate with fresh berries, if you like.
Credit: There's a Vegan in the House is published by DK, 3 January 2019. £14.99, DK.com